Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Open my eyes

Today's Psalm 119:1-24 reading spoke to me as it offered the prayer, "I live as an alien in the land; do not hide your commandments from me." So often I fear that the praise of God's law expressed in this psalm would come out as self-righteousness off of my lips. I back away from expressing delight in the commandments for fear that I will be misunderstood. Perhaps this is because there is another language that does not understand my devotion - "I live as an alien in the land." In all my effort to interpret the goodness of God, I learn to speak other languages. Yet the primary language is that a spiritual vision - "open my eyes" (v. 18). I pray that my facility with the ways of the world will not cause the gift of God's law to be hidden from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, I'm interested to hear your reflection on the passages. A spirit of meditation is appreciated.